POSITION: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Kidznotes has an immediate need for an Assistant Director of Development to assist in conducting a specialized and ongoing development program for the organization. This is a full time position reporting to the Director of Development.
Kidznotes is a 501(c) 3 nonprofit organization that changes lives through ever expanding participation in youth orchestras, bands, and choirs. Kidznotes is inspired by El Sistema, Venezuela’s world-renowned National System of Children and Youth Orchestras established in 1975, which has transformed the lives of over two million children from impoverished circumstances in Venezuela. Kidznotes was founded in Durham, North Carolina in 2009. In the 2017-18 school year, Kidznotes enrolled 450 public school students in grades Pre-K – 10, partnering with ten Title 1 elementary schools in Raleigh and Durham. Kidznotes provides full scholarships for each student, 10 hours of orchestral training each week, an instrument of their own, lessons in music theory and literacy, and opportunities throughout the year to excel and perform.
The Assistant Director of Development assists in planning, organizing, and implementing Kidznotes’ annual fundraising campaign. This position requires sensitive interaction with a variety of internal and external contacts and involves broad responsibility for the design and execution of fundraising projects, including grant writing, reporting, and prospecting. This individual will recommend fundraising goals for assigned programs, write and edit grant applications and reports, and develop other supporting materials for specific fundraising activities.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
Partner with the Director of Development, Executive Director, and Board of Directors in the organization’s strategic planning, management, and implementation as it relates to fundraising.
- Assist Kidznotes in cultivating and stewarding donor and community relationships that will strengthen our mission and increase revenue to $1.5+ million in the next two years. Manage a portfolio of donors, including corporate and foundation grantors.
- Assist in building and nurturing effective, positive working relationships with staff members, board members, Kidznotes students and families, and volunteers.
- Help to nurture a culture of donor-centered philanthropy within the organization and in all development activities.
- Manage the grant pipeline – researching, writing and reporting. Assist in managing cash flow by tracking grants applied for, awarded, pledged and received.
- Assist in managing logistics and execution of all annual campaign activities, including special events, in coordination with contractors, other staff, Board members, and volunteers.
- Oversee development operations ensuring that gift processing, recording and acknowledgement is accurate and prompt. Ensure that Salesforce data records match with Kidznotes financial accounting systems. Work with development associate and director of finance and operations in preparing materials for annual audit.
- Represent Kidznotes at charity fairs and other community engagement events.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as journalism, marketing, advertising, communications, fundraising, or management preferred.
- Demonstrated success developing and implementing strategic fundraising plans and achieving goals.
- Proficiency in case development, grant writing, reporting, and prospecting.
- Proven ability to manage and grow an active portfolio of prospects.
- Marketing and communications skills needed to tell Kidznotes story with conviction.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated success managing volunteers.
- Proficiency in computer skills related to fundraising, communications and reporting.
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.